Sheet Music Grading
- Easy - beginning, elementary, early junior high, rhythms to eight notes, limited range,
less complex key signature.
- Intermediate - junior high, early high school; range generally to 2 1/2 octaves, more complex rhythms and musical demands, easy ornamentation; e.g.: Telemann "Sonatas", "Melodious & Progressive bk.I".
- Moderately difficult - High school, early college; increased demands in interpretation, rhythm, key, range, technique;
e.g.: J.S. Bach "Sonatas", Mozart "Concerti".
- Advanced - College, conservatory; extended range; technically and interpretively complex, but generally written within the confines of traditional notation and performance methods.
- Extremely difficult - Technically difficult; may make use of extended techniques or nontraditional notation systems.
About our Grading System
Our 5-stage grading system is meant as a general guide to assist you in selecting materials of the appropriate level. Evaluation considered both technical and musical aspects. These grades remain our opinion only, and are not intended to infer a definitive designation.
Solo collections and method-etude books in particular often contain a cross-section of levels so as to appeal to the largest number of people. We tried to grade such selections according to the median or predominant level of the book. The above descriptions are intended as rule-of-thumb identification of each grade.