Nagahara headjoints have steadily earned a reputation for their incredible sound, projection, and range of color. They are a perfect balance between classic design and modern innovation. Nagahara headjoints are all designed and individually handmade by Kanichi Nagahara.
The Nagahara Difference: Regardless how you sound or what type of music you play, you owe it to yourself to try a Nagahara headjoint. Every step of the design and production of a Nagahara headjoint, including the unique taper of the tube and the specific curve of the lip plate, is meticulously calculated to ensure the consistent quality for which Nagahara flutes are famous. The end result of this perfectionism is an instrument which frees you from your technical worries and allows you to project your musical soul.
Headjoint selection may vary. All Nagahara headjoints are sold with headjoint case.
Embouchure Cuts - Exclusively cut and designed by Kanichi Nagahara, three basic embouchure cuts are available for Silver, Gold, and Platinum headjoints.
- Diligente (D) - Nice resistance; dark centered core tone
- Ardore (A) - Bright open sound & free blowing
- Spianato (S) - Traditional, more conservative for smaller ensembles
- DA - A cross between the "D" and "A" cut. Even flexibility and resistance through all registers. The most popular cut among flutists of all levels.
- DS - A cross between the "D" and "S" cut, medium resistance with a more delicate and sweet voice
- Galway (G) - Made with a unique lip plate design to project the vibrant sound Sir James Galway is known for. Provides flexibility & clean articulation with ease through all registers
- Konami style lip plate - A hand hammered wave on the lip plate lightly raising the sides of the riser enabling a more focused and direct projection. Great for those who like a more clear tone with less effort.
Wooden Headjoints - Nagahara offers three cuts made to enhance the wooden resonance:
- Modern - Clear and bold with artistic resistance through all registers
- Classic - Moderately resistant, very responsive with an elegant tone
- Baroque - Light with a dazzling and easeful tone