Introduction to Music Publishing for Musicians by Bobby Borg and Michael Eames
Softcover; 323 pages; copyright 2021
At a time when artists are independently releasing their own music and acting as their own self-publishers, and acting as their own self-publishers, there has never been a greater need for a simple and easy-to-read introduction to the business and creative aspects of music publishing for musicians.
Written by two musicians and industry pros with decades of experience, Introduction to Music Publishing for Musicians: Business and Creative Perspectives for the New Music Industry is organized into seven clearly written sections that will help musicians save time and avoid getting screwed. Topics include the basics of copyrights, types of publishing income, publishing companies and types of deals, creative masters of music publishing, and things you need to know about music publishing’s future. This book features:
- Short digestible chapters written in a conversational tone to keep artists focused
- Section-by-section FAQs that expand on key issues that musicians encounter today
- Boxed text stories featuring current events to emphasize key concepts
- Interviews with top songwriters, producers, beat makers, and more to provide secrets of success
- A glossary to help you keep track of important publishing terms
- Publishing resources offering to help you place and promote your music
- Chapter quizzes and activity assignments to help measure you knowledge
- Basics of Copyright: Identify important laws to protect your cherished songs.
- Types of Publishing Income: Take the proper steps to uncover money you’re owed.
- Publishing Companies and Types of Deals: Evaluate contract terms to cover your butt.
- Creative Matters of Music Publishing: Implement advanced strategies to pitch, place and promote music effectively.
- Interviews with Today’s Pros: Learn insider secrets to increase your odds of success.
- Things You Need to Know About Music Publishing’s Future: Learn insider secrets to increase your odds of success.
- It’s a Wrap: Recall everything you’ve learned about music publishing to show your peers and business professionals that you’re an educated pro.
Bobby Borg and Michael Eames have created a compact, simple, and easy-to-read overview of today’s music publishing industry that caters to both students and musicians (songwriters, producers, beat makers, and more) who want quick, up-to-date credible, and relatable information so that they can get back to doing what they like best: creating music!
Bobby Borg, MCM is a former recording/touring artist, the founder of Bobby Borg Consulting, and the author of The Musician’s Handbook, Music Marketing for The DIY Musician, and Business Basics for Musicians. He is adjunct professor of music industry studies at University of Southern California’s Thornton School of Music.
Michael Eames is a trained composer, songwriter, and pianist with experience in film scoring. He is the president and co-founder of PEN Music Group, Inc. and a member of the Independent Publisher Advisory Council (IPAC) of the National Music Publishers’ Association (NMPA).