My First Concert – Twenty-Four Easy Concert Pieces from Five Centuries
(Mein erstes Konzert)
By Stefan Albrecht
For flute and piano
Published by Schott
Includes score and flute part
1. Gaillarde by Pierre Attaignant (ca. 1494 – ca. 1552)
2. Tedesca by Giorgio Mainerio (1545-1582)
3. Tanz / Dance by Michael Praetorius (1571-1621)
II. Barock / Baroque
4. Greensleeves to a Ground by Anonymous
5. Cantabile (from “Il Gardellino” by Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741)
6. Vite (from Sinfonie a la francoise TWV 41:h2) by Georg Philipp Telemann (1681-1767)
7. Siciliana (from Sonata Eb Major BWV 1031) by Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
8. Allegro (from Three Airs) by Henry Holcombe (1693-1750)
III. Klassik und Romantik / Classical and Romantic Age
9. Reigen seliger Geister / The Dance of the Blessed Spirits (from Orpheus und Eurydike) by Christoph Willibald Gluck (1714-1787)
10. Allegro (from Sonata in C Major KV 14) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)
11. Deutscher Tanz / German Dance by Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827)
12. Berceuse Op. 16 by Gabriel Faure (1845-1924)
IV. Impressionismus und Moderne / Impressionism and Modern Age
13. Le petit negre / The Little Negro by Claude Debussy
14. Andante by Jehan Alain (1911-1940)
15. Regenblume / Rain Flower by Barbara Heller (* 1936)
16. Miniature 5 by Etienne Gilbert (* 1927)
V. Folk, Pop, Jazz
17. Shepherds Hey by Anonymous
18. Walking by the Sea by Mike Schonmehl (* 1957)
19. Mango Walk by Traditional
20. Original Rags by Scott Joplin (1867-1917)
21. Slow Fox by Matyas Seiber (1905-1960)
22. Cool Blues by Krystof Zgraja (* 1960)
23. Swing Out Sister by Christopher Norton (* 1953)
24. Am Strand / On the Beach by Gabriel Koeppen (* 1958)
“My First Concert” contains twenty-four easy pieces for flute and piano covering five centuries altogether. All these pieces have a special charm – each in its own way – displayed to good effect in this mixture of different eras and styles.
Properly used, this book provides a wonderfully motivating learning resource to open the eyes and ears even for beginners. The selection of pieces here brings creative imagination into the foreground, combining basic technical instruction with the enjoyment of expressive playing and the associated discovery of individual abilities.
Even the very easy pieces (presented in order of gradually increasing challenges) offer the chance to explore the characteristics and typical or distinguishing features of various contrasting pieces while testing out rhythmic control, sensitive phrasing, using dynamics and introducing musical shading.
Playing along with the piano can really help in learning these pieces, especially when the piano moves from an accompanying role to that of a duo partner and thus offers support and suggestions for interpreting the flute part. The accompanying CD therefore includes both complete recordings and separately recorded piano accompaniment for all the pieces.
This book thus offers a stylistic introduction to a broad range of flute pieces covering five centuries. It may of course also serve as an ideal point of departure for the exploration of further repertoire at an appropriately increasing level of difficulty.
Have fun with your first concert!
– Stefan Albrecht
Translation: Julia Rushworth