Finger Fitness – The Art of Finger Control by Lorraine C. and Gregory G. Irwin
80 pages; Spiral bound
Your hands are tools and like any other tool, they must be kept in top condition to perform to their best ability. Whatever your chosen field, using the Finger Fitness program will increase the skill level of your hands by increasing strength, dexterity, coordination, and finger and hand independence. You will gain confidence and trust in the ability of your hands and develop what Greg Irwin calls finger-thought connection. You will be able to master your finger control and tune your brain in with the movements of your hands. This hand control is critical if you are a musician or magician in need of delicate and subtle hand/finger movements.
* The origins and creation of the unique Finger Fitness Program philosophy
* 4 Different warm-up and stretching exercises to limber up your hands and get them ready for work
* An easy to understand introduction to the Basic Finger Fitness Exercises
* What are Folds, Extenders, Taps, Bends, Splits, Shuffling, and Combos? How to use each of these unique movements to develop different finger functions
* 4 levels of progression for each movement that will challenge beginners and veterans alike
* Step-by-step illustrated demonstrations with accompanying full text explanations of each exercise for correct usage
* Detailed anatomy charts that explain which muscle groups are worked by each exercise
* What science can tell us about the finger-thought connection? You’ll be surprised…
* The two things you need to know before you start the Finger Fitness Program
* Comments from Certified Hand Therapist Meg Robinson on how the Finger Fitness Program can address Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and other cumulative trauma needs
* Combo and Complex movements for advanced Finger Fitness trainees
As a freshman at Miami University, Greg Irwin found himself frustrated as he worked on his degree in Music Education. Though he was very talented, Greg was having problems with finger coordination as he practiced the piano and other instruments. You see, his degree required him to demonstrate his skills at every instrument – yes, every instrument from piano to xylophone and everything in between. In order to work on this problem, he began looking high and low for information on how to increase his finger dexterity, flexibility, and independence… but there were no training materials to be found anywhere.
At the time, Greg also had a job in which there were long stretches of inactivity. He decided to use this down time for something productive and took it upon himself to experiment with different hand and finger movements to pass the time. Greg knew he was onto something when he noticed that his musical skills improved dramatically as he perfected these movements.
Over the next few years, Greg continued to practice these movements. While working as a musician and music teacher he also learned many more of these “finger tricks” from some of his students. It was at this time that he realized that he had enough exercises collected to create a complete hand exercise program.
After talking to many hand surgeons, physical therapists, and sports medicine professionals, he found there were no complete programs available for advancing the ordinary hand to higher levels of strength, coordination, and flexibility.
The Hand Health and Finger Fitness System was born!